Saturday 26 March 2016

Neolithic and Bronze Age migration to Ireland

I have recently been researching some of my Irish ancestry and when I read the following paper in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, I thought I should do something that could be of interest to other Irish ancestry researchers.  And so I investigated the DNA from the four individuals in this paper:

Lara M. Cassidy, Rui Martiniano, Eileen M. Murphy, Matthew D. Teasdale, James Mallory, Barrie Hartwell and Daniel G. Bradley (2016) Neolithic and Bronze Age migration to Ireland and establishment of the insular Atlantic genome. PNAS, 113(2) pp 368-373.  http://www.pnas.org/content/113/2/368

The original DNA data can be found at PRJEB11995
The processed files are available and can be downloaded from Google Drive.

Ballynahatty

 

The Ballynahatty individual was a Neolithic woman from an early megalithic passage-like grave in Ballynahatty, County Down, Ireland, whose remains have been dated to between 3343-3020 years cal BC. DNA was extracted from the petrous portion of the temporal bone.  The authors state that she had a genome of predominantly near-eastern origin and that she also had some hunter gatherer ancestry.  The data is uploaded to GEDmatch as kit F999805.  A one-to-many search reveals a surprising number of matches with living people.

Rathlin 

 

The Rathlin individuals were Early Bronze Age men from a cist burial on Rathlin Island, County Antrim, Ireland, whose remains have been dated to 2026-1534 years cal BC.  DNA was extracted from the petrous portion of the temporal bones.  The authors state that they had a Steppe genetic heritage, an indication of large European population upheavals over this period.

Rathlin1

 

Dated to between 2026-1885 years cal BC. The data is uploaded to GEDmatch as kit F999800.  A one to many search again reveals a surprising number of matches with living people, one of whom is my uncle.

Rathlin2

 

Dated to between 2024-1741 years cal BC. The data is uploaded to GEDmatch as kit F999802.  A one to many search  reveals four matches with living people.

Rathlin3

 

Dated to between 1736-1534 years cal BC. The data is uploaded to GEDmatch as kit F999801.  A one to many search reveals no current matches with living people, I hope that this encourages Irish DNA researchers who have yet to upload Irish DNA data to do so.

12 comments:

  1. i share dna with rathlin 3
    Largest segment = 3.8 cM
    Total of segments > 1 cM = 20.7 cM
    11 matching segments

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Martol, congratulations on your match! I get an interesting feeling of connection with our ancestry in the deep past when these matches are found with living people.

      Delete
    2. I share Rathlin chr1 13.3cm, chr17
      3.4
      I share Ratlin 1. chr3 6.8, chr15 3.4

      Delete
  2. I just found this after finding I match all 3 🤔

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a male in USA, known Irish immigrant 1808. I share ancient dna w/ . Rathlin 1 (f999800) 8 shared segments, largest 5.4 cM. also Bichon switz(f999803) 4 shared segments, largest 3.7 cM.

    ReplyDelete
  4. American (of many generations) But not surprising I share with 999800 and 999805. Each carry gene C282Y. I carry 2 copies of C282Y, and I also share Hereditary Hemochromatosis with (them).

    999805
    Largest segment = 3.9 cM
    Total Half-Match segments (HIR) 20.1cM (0.562 Pct)
    6 shared segment

    999800
    Largest segment = 4.4 cM
    Total Half-Match segments (HIR) 28.3cM (0.789 Pct)
    8 shared segments

    ReplyDelete
  5. i match all three i also have more matching segmants with the women and i have very dar brown eyes and my father has green blue grey eyes

    ReplyDelete
  6. My mother and I BOTH have shared autosomal AND X matches for all 4 of your kits F999805 F999800, Kit F999802 and kit F999801. I also found out a couple of weeks ago that I have one gene variant for Hereditary Hemochromatosis. I believe the Ballynahatty female carried that gene variant as well? I have medium blue eyes with a hint of green. My father had ice blue eyes, red extremely curly hair, fair skin and freckles and my mother had very dark brown eyes, olive or sallow skin and coarse straight dark brown, almost black hair. My mother and I are on GEDmatch. 43 autosomal shared segments for my mom! with a largest shared segment of 5 cM. Comparing My mother's Kit Frances Slack Johnson and Kit F999800 (Rathlin1 Ireland 2.0ky cal BC) [GEDmatch Xfer]. My mother's result of 39 shared segments doing an autosomal comparison of this kit (I only had 30), with a largest segment of 6.7 cM which was larger than mine: Comparing her Kit (Frances Slack Johnson) [Migration - F2 - A] and Kit F999805 (Ballynahatty Ireland 3.2ky cal BC) [GEDmatch Xfer]. Her X match was also strong: Mom's X match for this kit has 8 shared X match segments with a largest segment of 9 cM: Comparing Kit (Frances Slack Johnson) [Migration - F2 - A] and Kit F999805 (Ballynahatty Ireland 3.2ky cal BC) [GEDmatch Xfer]. The other kits were not as dramatic as these, but also had matches for autosomal and X matches.

    ReplyDelete
  7. F999800
    Largest Segment = 4.1 cM
    Total Half-Match 28.4 cM
    8 shared segments

    ReplyDelete
  8. F999800
    Largest segment 5.3
    Half match 22.4
    6 shared segments

    F999805
    Largest segment 4.1
    Half match 17.5
    5 shared segments

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have 3 matching segments to the Ballynahatty woman. One is on the X chromosome at 8 cM and the others are another 8 cM and 4.7. Also have matches to Rathlin 1.

    ReplyDelete